Find a Workshop Near You
purchase this book!
READ THE BOOK!
Ahead of time, you MUST read the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 6th Edition 2011, which comes with a CD-ROM. The book is available from AAP/AHA/NRP at the AAP Book Store (click here) or call 888-227-1770. Shipping can take up to three weeks unless expedited.
Chapters 1 through 4 and 9 MUST BE READ before the class. If you need to be tested for medications and intubations, you must also read Chapters 5 & 6.
You do not have to buy the book but you MUST read the book AHEAD of time. You can borrow it from someone else and read it before the class. You can also review the DVD-ROM that comes with the book.
As of January 1, 2012, Karen is only offering one type of class for new and renewing NRP students
- As of February 1, 2012, all Class Fees will be $240 for all students (with additional PayPal fees added)
- Usually scheduled from 8:45am to 5:30pm
- Anyone may attend Karen's class; NRP no longer differentiates between new and renewing students.
- EVERYONE must complete the NRP ONLINE EXAMINATION prior to attending the class. Those who do not bring the written verification supplied upon passing the test will not be admitted to the class!
6th Edition Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation Testing Information
For details on how to take the test online, click here:http://www2.aap.org/nrp/docs/OnlineExamStudentGuide.pdf
To take the test, click here: NRP Online Exam Click on the purple button with a computer mouse on it that says "NRP Online Examination"
The online test costs $23.50 and that goes directly to AAP/NRP. Book/ebook can be purchased at the NRP Bookstore
Please click here for Karen’s suggestions on taking the online test.
You must take the test before you come to class and bring the verification form to the class or you will not be admitted into the class.
This is an open book test and it is not timed!
Don't wait until the last minute, many people are finding the system is down when they go to take it!
And, remember to Take Your Time! If you fail twice you will have to pay to take it again!
These classes are specifically designed and taught for out-of-hospital settings, though everything is applicable to any setting where babies are born, including the hospital. The class is suitable for MDs, EMT’s, CNM’s, CM’s, PA’s, CPM’s, DEM’s, RN’s, doulas, childbirth educators, students, apprentices, helpers--and anyone who may be present at a birth.
- Incorporates the Midwifery Model of Care into Neonatal Resuscitation.
- Combines skill requirements with cutting edge information and pre- and peri-natal psychology research.
- Recognizes and supports the conscious and aware newborn during transitions of birth.
- Clarifies Neonatal transitional physiology and the normal transitions of birth.
- Realizes the relationship between physiology, psychology, and the hormones of birth.
- Thoroughly integrates NRP steps into practice within an out-of- hospital setting.
- Expand your knowledge with current evidence-based research.
- Teaches you “Simple Tools” to help you help babies integrate their journey
- Fulfills or renews AAP/AHA NRP course of completion (you get the card).
- Discusses, discovers, challenges and collaborates!
Ahead of time, you MUST read the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation 6TH Edition 2011 which comes with a CD-ROM. The book is available from AAP/AHA/NRP here or call 888-227-1770. Shipping can take up to three weeks unless expedited. Chapters 1 through 4 and 9 MUST be read before the class. If you need to be tested for medications and intubations, you must also read Chapters 5 & 6. Karen needs to be informed that you need this portion of the test in order to bring those tests and dolls to the class. Then it is YOUR responsibility to ask Karen at class for that part of the test plus the hands on skill testing before you leave the class.
Please note the 6th edition of the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation was published in May 2011.
- KAREN WILL TEACH TO FEEL COMFORTABLE USING YOUR EQUIPMENT!
- KAREN WILL TEACH THE COUNTS IN AN EASY-TO-RECALL MANNER!
- KAREN WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO LEAVE YOUR FEAR BEHIND!
- YOU WILL LOVE THIS CLASS WHEN YOU ARE DONE!
What People Say About Karen's Workshops
I just love the holistic nature of this course. A must for parents, prospective parents, and all birth-care providers. I love the evidence-based nature of everything you presented. I also loved the discussion on child-initiated/led breastfeeding and the physiological benefits! –Participant, Madison, WI
Very good class. It was very succinct, clear, and interesting. Cord info is great, the overview of resuscitation was great, and the practice part was sufficiently long.
This was the first NRP class where I went from terror to a feeling that if/when I have to do [resuscitation], it is to help the baby – and that it might be welcome, not forced.
–Sue Baelen, San Francisco, CA